Friday, November 28, 2008

Our First Thanksgiving in Brazil


Our first Thanksgiving in Brazil was quite enjoyable! We had an almost traditional meal. Isabel was able to find a turkey! Woohoo!!! The biggest one they had was 8.5 pounds, so we didn't have a lot of leftovers. I think it was the best turkey that I have ever eaten! Isabel and Nita arrived at my house between 6:30 and 7:00am and we started cooking. The green bean casserole was slightly varied. I had to make cream of mushroom soup (bring back memories Jill?) from scratch. Since you can't get french fried onions here, I added diced onions to the mix and put shoestring potatoes on top. It turned out pretty good! Isabel made mashed potatoes and gravy. I made a broccoli casserole and we had some rolls. Nita made an apple pie. The pumpkin pie was a little different. They don't have evaporated milk here, so I substituted creme de leite. It tasted the same but the texture was different. Instead of being kind of thick and heavy, it was light and fluffy! No complaints here! It was fun to spend Thanksgiving with the Nichols crew.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I totally remember making everything from scratch! My motto now is, "Been there. Done that." I'm all for convenience. Sounds like you did a pretty good job of substituting. That was always hard for me. I don't have a knack for cooking!